Jason Hewitt Bennett
Associate Lecturer, MA Publishing
He has over twenty years’ marketing and sales experience within the publishing industry, working for a number of professional and academic publishers, including Pearson Education, Taylor & Francis, Kogan Page and Cengage, where he was Senior Marketing Manager for over five years. He has worked across a range of digital and print products including textbooks, journals and mass-market non-fiction, with subjects ranging from cookery to Shakespeare, photography to psychology, and anthropology to finance. He is now a marketing consultant, offering everything from email campaigns to market research (including managing a large-scale HE market research project called Student Voices). He has also worked for a number of non-publishing clients in the finance and arts sectors.
Jason is the author of two novels (The Dynamite Room and Devastation Road) and a number of plays including Claustrophobia that premiered at the Edinburgh Fringe before transferring to London. He has taught on a number of writing courses including Arvon, as well as providing school creative writing workshops at the British Library for over five years. He is currently writing a new novel.
As well as teaching at Oxford Brookes, he is also Senior Lecturer at Bath Spa University, teaching on the Publishing Combined and Publishing and Journalism courses where he specialises in marketing, editing and digital content. He has an MA in Creative Writing from Bath Spa University.
- PUBL7016 Marketing and Sales Management for Publishing (Lead Tutor)
- PUBL7017 Digital Production and Workflow Management (Tutor)
Jason is an Associate Lecturer for the distance learning MA Publishing course at Oxford Brookes University. He lives in Bath and teaches remotely part-time. He has taught at Oxford Brookes since January 2016 on both undergraduate and postgraduate campus-based Publishing courses and more recently on the Marketing and Sales Management module for the distance learning MA.
Books and other publications
- The Dynamite Room (Simon & Schuster, 2014)
- Devastation Road (Simon & Schuster, 2015)
- Claustrophobia (The Hope Theatre, London, 2015)
- Episodic (The Courtyard Theatre, London, 2013)
- The Dynamite Room was longlisted for the Desmond Elliott Prize for New Writing and the Authors’ Club Best First Novel Award. Devastation Road was longlisted for the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction. A film version of The Dynamite Room is currently in pre-production, starring Jamie Bell.